The number of people who often suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) has been on a steady increase due to many factors. Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic medical condition that affects the bowels and causes constant gas and stomach bloating. This disorder can be quite embarrassing, especially when you are far away from your home or a bathroom.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Although the symptoms of IBS vary from person to person, some of the common signs include the following:
- Rectal bleeding
- Abdominal cramping and pain
- Weight loss
Is using medical marijuana a viable form of treatment for IBS?
At present, the FDA has not approved the use of medical marijuana for the treatment of IBS; research has shown that it might be a viable treatment for this disorder. Evidence suggests that when cannabis interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for regulatory functions, it helps in limiting intestinal inflammation, which causes frequent bowel movements.
How exactly does marijuana treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Although there is still some ongoing research on IBS and cannabis, medical marijuana can improve the quality of life by treating three significant symptoms associated with IBS, which are depression, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
- Medical Marijuana and Depression: IBS affects mental well-being; however, medical marijuana is a mood lifter that alleviates the feeling of depression. Studies have shown that the psychoactive compound in medical marijuana helps to ease anxiety and depression.
- Medical Marijuana and Diarrhea: Also, medical marijuana can also be used in treating diarrhea, which can be painful and embarrassing. It also is known to be able to consume a lot of time. Cannabis has proven to help in reducing the rate of food movement through the gastrointestinal tract, thereby helping in the treatment of diarrhea.
- Medical Marijuana for Abdominal Pain: Studies have also shown that cannabinoids can be used in managing abdominal pains. Cannabis is anti-inflammatory; it helps in alleviating nerve pains and also calms intestinal lining inflammation in people with IBS.
The Best Medical Marijuana Strain for IBS
Some of the most documented medical marijuana strains that can grant you relief from IBS symptoms include the following:
- Blue Dream: This is a hybrid strain that can be used to calm the symptoms of depression, which is associated with IBS.
- Pennywise: Pennywise is an Indica hybrid. It provides relief from depression and does not make you feel high.
- Lemon Jack: Lemon Jack keeps you energized after suffering from diarrhea, which is a symptom of IBS. It can be used during the day to get a strong effect.
- Jack Herer: This well-known strain is a natural painkiller that reduces tissue inflammation, pain, and stress.
Best Medicating Methods
To treat IBS, you can consume marijuana using the following methods.
- Smoking: Smoking cannabis provides instant relief. Here, the cannabinoids in the cannabis plant interact directly with the endocannabinoid system to provide relief.
- Vaping: This method also provides instant relief and as well. Vaping is a nice alternative to smoking, especially in this case.
- Edibles: Medical marijuana edibles such as gummies and brownies can be chewed to get relief from IBS.
- Tincture: In addition, tinctures can be added to your foods and drink when treating this disorder.
IBS is a painful condition that can affect the quality of life of its sufferers and cause them to withdraw from daily activities while causing long-lasting discomfort. However, medical marijuana has proven to provide relief from some symptoms associated with this disorder. If you’re an IBS sufferer, give cannabis a try.
January 23, 2021 at 7:27 am
Marijuana has such a positive effect on my stomach problems. I don’t like taking pills and mmj can prevent spasms and handle my pain.
September 20, 2022 at 4:13 am
I really do notice how marijuana stops my cramps. It’s no joke